Saturday, November 27, 2010

(83) May 17, 2010: Protection

PROTECTION

Protection is the platinum I crave,
   To stay the grief and chain the beasts of pain;
And if robust enough, to misbehave
   Without a consequence to entertain;
Immunity from any poor result;
A place to thumb my nose as I exult.

If only pure impunity were mine,
   A Teflon coating thick and slick as ice
That no contrived suspicion could malign,
   No finger pointing out some minor vice,
But free & clear and sailing through the fray,
I’d glide the gauntlet’s maze like child's play.

Indemnify me, mollify me, stage
   A coup d'état before they pick the lock
Of my encrypted antiviral cage.
   Let none approach me, no one knock
Or tap or tamper with my crystal calm,
No agitator cockle my aplomb.

Protection is the platinum I choose
   To thwart the silver rounds of circumstance,
That will not ever fail to always lose
   While I outwit the sloppy rules of chance.
I’ll flirt with every game that can be swayed,
Completely safe within my masquerade.

D. Edgar Lamp

www.TheDailyPoem #83
Venus & Adonis Stanza

No comments:

Post a Comment