Wednesday, November 24, 2010

(65) April 29, 2010: The FAce

THE FACE

I was out in the woods on the mountainside
   Just looking around at the place.
It was close to my home on the other side
   Of what they've been calling, "The Face,"

Since some locals reported a curious stone
   Resembling Sigmund Freud.
But to me it resembled the pelvic bone
   Of a counterfeit alienoid.

I had taken some pictures and mailed them on
   To my contact at ArcheType,
Then decided to bushwhack for possible spawn
   But figured the story was hype.

Then I heard a sound like the tapping of nails
   From a customer waiting too long,
Or the plotting of evil as in the dark tales
   Where the dragons and demons belong.

All at once I determined to head for home,
   With a shiver of dread through my veins,
For I saw on my left a silvery dome
   That was covered all over with chains.

As I turned to run, a chain caught my leg
   And I fell with a thud on the ground.
Then the chain pulled me into that colorless egg
   Where inside I was silenced and bound.

After seemingly hours alone in the dark,
   A most radiant creature appeared;
Like a woman in beauty, but stern and stark,
   A commander respected and feared.

As a mother her infant, she lifted me up
   And cradled me close to her chest.
To my lips she presented a red-rimmed cup
   That I drank till my mind was at rest.

Then she whispered a word in my somnolent ear,
   A word of maternal embrace,
And I knew I had come to the final frontier,
   For that wonderful word was, “Grace.”

And she kissed my lips and lay me down
   Just a bundle of boyish pride
And I woke in my bed in our little town
   Tucked away on a mountainside.

D. Edgar Lamp

www.TheDailyPoem.org
Ballad Meter

No comments:

Post a Comment